Fire extinguishers are the safety tools that can save lives and assets in the situation of a fire emergency. They are important safety equipment that must necessarily be there in every kind of property- be it homes, offices, schools, hospitals, or factories.
The user manual of the fire extinguishers must be nicely pasted next to it so that it can be used by anyone in sight and not just by the fireguards. Fire hazards can take place at any time and it is prudent to have measures in place to deal with such a situation
Just being aware of the use of a fire extinguisher is not sufficient; you must also know the kind of fire extinguisher that is best suited for installation in your premises. If you have previously had fire extinguishers installed then finding a new one is not a major task for you.
However, if you are new at searching for this equipment, you will need to consider a few factors before making the purchase. Refer to the points mentioned below to know more.
- Consider the weight of the extinguisher- You need to pay much attention to this aspect. You might think that an extinguisher low in weight is ideal because it will be easier to use in a crisis; however, a high weighted extinguisher will have the appropriate quantity to completely put out the fire. It is advised that you choose the heavier fire extinguisher as it will be mounted on a wall in plain sight and is more efficient in quickly extinguishing the flames.
- Class/Rating of the extinguisher- Fire extinguishers can be differentiated on the basis of their purpose, i.e. the type of fires they can extinguish. Class a tends to paper or wood fires, Class B is for those involving oil and grease, and Class C is specifically meant for fire caused by electrical appliances. There is an ABC model which can be used for all three types of fire emergencies. Also, remember to purchase the extinguisher from a certified provider.
- Date of manufacturing- When buying an extinguisher, make sure that the indicator is clearly visible and it should show that there is full quantity. Moreover, only buy a fire extinguisher that has been manufactured within the preceding few months as dry chemical extinguishers need to be discarded after one year of manufacturing.
- Quantity of extinguisher- The number of fire extinguishers that must be bought depends on the property in which they are to be installed and the risk of fire in that area. You must ask for the assistance of a reliable fire extinguisher provider to make a wise decision in this regard.
- Whether to purchase cartridge operated or stored pressure extinguisher- A stored pressure extinguisher is ideal for home installation or any other similar place where it might come in frequent use. This type of extinguisher has both the fire fighting agent and the expellant stored in a common chamber. In a cartridge operated fire extinguisher, there is a separate cartridge in which expellant gas is stored. This type of extinguisher is more commonly used in industrial premises.
Learning the proper use of the equipment- Operating a fire extinguisher is not that big of a task; simply follow the acronym PASS, representing Pull, Aim, Squeeze, and Sweep.
- Pull the extinguisher’s pin and hold it away from your face to release the lock.
- Aim the low point; your target should be the source of flames and not the flames themselves. Make sure to stand at least 2 meters away from the fire and do not commit the mistake of spraying in the opposite direction of the wind.
- Squeeze the lever of the extinguisher slowly and evenly in an upright position.
- Sweep the nozzle from one side to another while targeting the source of fire till it completely extinguishes. Keep spraying till the contents of the extinguisher get completely finished.
Apart from the factors mentioned above, you must remember to periodically check the fire extinguishers to ensure that they will be available for use in case of a fire emergency. Contact a fire extinguisher supplier near you to know more details.